Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Weddings.

Weddings are strange. (Let me explain)

Prior to February, I hadn't been to a wedding in about 5 years. Prior to June, I hadn't been to a wedding without my parents. But (apparently) you reach a point in your life when the people around you start to get married. And for me, that time seems to be now.

I have been to three weddings so far this year... Two more to go this summer. One friend getting married next week in southern BC (not attending that one). Had a friend elope in January. Next year, I currently know of four close friends who are getting married, and one couple that is waiting until 2013.

The thing that I love about all these weddings, is that they are so different. As long as people personalize their weddings, they will never get old to me.

In February, I went to a wedding on top of Kicking Horse Mountain in Golden.

Luckily, the weather was nice, but I still had to wear my snowpants and a touque. The theme was "snow - chic". Needless to say, the bride and groom had their first ski down the hill together as husband and wife.
The "Just" "Married" signs even had tin cans hanging from them!

The two weddings so far this summer have been much more conventional (ie. not on a mountaintop), but they have still been wonderfully personalized.

In June, I went to a wedding that was marvellously simple; it wasn't plain, but full of homemade touches, lacking any artifice and nothing over the top.  The flowers were all done by the bridesmaids, which meant every bouquet and centre piece was unique. Even the fact that it poured buckets all day couldn't damper the mood!
If you look closely, you can see my camera creeping in the background!

I was honored to make cupcakes for the wedding! The bride had a cupcake stand to put them on, and I spent many hours and made several trial batches to make them perfect. My friend Dominique was a bridesmaid (you can read her blog here) and she helped me bake and decorate (the coconut was her idea!). I think they turned out marvellous!

The most recent wedding happened this past weekend; one of my girlfriends from high school. Her wedding was GORGEOUS! She has spent the past year making sure every detail was perfect, and it was! This wedding was how little girls dream weddings should be - all the elements were there to make sure the bride felt like a princess! Check out this cake...

Is that not gorgeous or what? And don't the newlyweds look happy?

Aww!

So, the thing I find strange about weddings, is that there is no "right" or "wrong" way to do them. There are a few common elements (ie, ceremony, dinner, dance, flowers, etc) but the whole event can be personalized so much. (Stay posted for the wedding that's taking place on a horse farm!) As long as the couple chooses a wedding that suits them, you can pretty much guarantee that it will be wonderful in my eyes!

No comments: