Monday, August 15, 2011

Small Towns.

Bashaw, AB

This is going to be a fairly picture-heavy post!

I have been without good photoediting software for a long time. When I recently came across Picnik, I was so happy! Finally I can fix up colors, apply different lens tints and effects, and touch up blemishes!

One of the effects I love is the combination of "Cross Processing" and "1960's", which gives photos a retro-feel (by fading the effects in, I am happy to say these photos look almost exactly like some pictures my father has of my grandmother's trip to California in 1967).

Main St.

I eagerly applied this retro look to some pictures I have taken in and around a local small town. While these pictures were either taken last summer or this summer (some as recent as last week), the effect gives you the impression that the town has remained unchanged for years.


Closed ice cream parlor.


The best butcher shop you will ever go to!
The notorious blue church.











Army Surplus.



Grain Elevator.
The following two pictures aren't really small town... but they were taken close to my cabin and not far away from Bashaw... so I thought I'd stick them here, keeping with the retro feel theme. I love the way the clouds look in these shots... And most of that is just how the pictures came out, rather than being edited!

3 comments:

Nick said...

Love the photos! Too bad about Golly's though. Great to see a photo of the Bashaw butcher shop, I get to eat delicious food from there but have not been there in quite some time.

Sandi said...

Thanks Nick!
Golly's is now some kind of dodgy looking pool hall, but there is a new ice cream parlor just off Main St.
And the meat store is the best! I'm sad you haven't been there in ages.

L.N.J. said...

Great photos Sandi! I've never used Picnik but it looks pretty sweet! My favourite of your pics in this post is the field with the amazing clouds. That could be framed and sold :)