Thursday, August 11, 2011

Botanical Gardens.

I loved how dainty these blossoms were.
No clue what they are.

I love gardens. When I travel, I try to hit up the botanical gardens in as many places as possible... in addition to the usual rose gardens, they often showcase local plant species as well.






Japanese Gardens.

Typical of most people, I do not go to "tourist" places in my own area. Unsurprisingly, this past week was my first trip to the Devonian Botanical Gardens.

Like zoos, I try to make trips to botanical gardens a solo adventure. Usually people don't like to spend nearly as much time there as I do... (I once spent 6 hours in Taronga Zoo in Sydney- definetly worth it).


 
Cherry-Faced Meadowhawk... yes?
I am still trying to figure out the best way to use my SLR camera. (I have a Nikon D3000) While I haven't really perfected portraits (I'm still more reliable with my Sony point-and-shoot) I have really gotten the hang of flowers and insects. Macro remains my specialty.




Pollination, at it's finest.
I have said it before and I'll say it again... I love bees. My father jokingly called me "The Bee Whisperer" once when I stood in a patch of delphiniums for 10 minutes to let them get accustomed to me so that I could get a good picture.
 




Arched-wing Cattleheart...
I think.
One of the highlights of the Devonian Botanical Gardens is the Butterfly House. These are not local species, as they live in the tropical plant greenhouse. (I also once spent an hour in a butterfly aviary in Sydney... surprised?)



 It was a glorious day (one of the hottest we've had all summer... although that's not saying much). Aside from a few "rambunctious" visitors, (yes, I'm looking at you Mr. 30-year-old-using-the-Japanese-garden's-waterfall-as-a-sprinkler!) the gardens are very calm and quiet. Perfect way to spend a hot, lazy, summer afternoon.

That sums it up quite nicely,
I think.



2 comments:

L.N.J. said...

Beautiful photos Sandi! I've never been there but I've always wanted to go! Perhaps next summer when I come to Edmonton we could take a trip out there? I especially love that blue/black butterfly picture, I've never seen a butterfly like that before!

Sandi said...

It's a date! ;)