Saturday, August 20, 2011

Lightning.

This light show took place north of Fort Saskatchewan a couple weekends ago. Light pollution interfered a bit, but I found that with a 5 second exposure they didn't come out too bad...

I had the tripod set up in an upstairs window, and just kept depressing the shutter, hoping lightning would strike. (If you wait to see it, it's too late!)

Here is the breakdown on the shots I took... (I won't give you raw data... I took an embarassing number of pictures...)

63%  of the shots... nothing.
25% of the shots... heat lightning which pretty much just illuminates the clouds.
12%  of the shots actually contained visible strikes.
4% of the shots could be considered decent.


This one happened before I got the camera even hooked up to the tripod,
and before I turned out the lights!

This is what happens when you are just getting the zoom worked out...

There were other, more in focus ones,
but these were the biggest and brightest!


No comments: