Monday, August 22, 2011

Fringe.

Ahh. The Fringe. Edmonton's annual theatre festival (this 30th edition is known as "Fringeopolis") is a time of plays around the Whyte Ave area, street performers, midways, and my favorite... Mini Donuts.

Mmmmmm.
This year I managed to make it to only two shows (due to all the wedding activities and a quick mid-weektrip to Golden). I have several friends in the theatre community, and I try to make it out to at least some of their shows, but it's not always possible.

Last week, I saw the fabulous production of BoyGroove. If you have ever enjoyed the music of a boy band, you would love this show. It followed the highs and lows of a fictional boy band with deadly accuracy, hip-swiveling choreography, pop-y tunes and belly-shaking laughs. A fantastic, worthwhile show! (And held over until this weekend! Check it out!)

Last night, I went and saw my friend Stef's play, No Choking Matter, which was a funny, campy romp about the Heimlich Maneuver (who would have thought J-thrusts could be so funny?). It was full of snappy one liners, awkward characters, and even a shirt-ripping scene. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite the fact that it was disgustingly hot in the theatre. (In addition to being a very talented actress, Stef is also an awesome baker. Check out her food blog here!)

I always like to head to Whyte Ave early, try to find a decent parking spot, pick up my tickets at the box office, and wander around enjoying the atmosphere before the show start.

The midway at the Fringe has always seemed a bit sad to me. It's tucked away at the back, away from the stages and children's performers that might attract riders. The rides are a bit sad looking, and the carnies who tend them can be downright frightening. I actually heard one carnie refer to his ride as "this motherf*cker"... Pretty sure that's not going to help draw in the family crowd...


Empty Ferris Wheel
 

2 comments:

Vincent said...

I did not know the Fringe even had a midway. I do not feel like I have missed anything.

Sandi said...

Not in the slightest.