Tuesday, September 27, 2011

House Plants II.

About a month ago, I posted about the easiest plants that I know of that can be grown around the house. The kind that, even if you live in a basement suite and only have artifical light, will grow quite happily. This time around, I give you "Advanced Plants (for Modern Living)".  These require a bit more complicated care (like more regular waterings and feedings) and specific light conditions.

Growing up, my mother always had African violets - and they always seemed to be blooming. African violets have velvety, fuzzy leaves that don't like to get wet, meaning you need to water them from below, which takes a bit of care. They also don't like too much moisture, so you should put the bottom of the pot in water, let it stand for 20 minutes or so, then drain the water away so the roots don't rot. To be their happiest, they like indirect sunlight/shade and regular feedings. They can flower year round, but mine don't... (my mothers are always blooming! ... not that I'm jealous or anything...)


Another free and awesome plant I received was this Dieffenbachia. The attractive dappled leaves unfurl from the main stalk, and new shoots seem to be popping out the bottom. This one lives next to my north facing living room window... it tolerates shade/low light, but prefers partial shade. (When it was on the other side of the room it wasn't very happy... I switched it with a Sansevieria and they are both happier now.)

At St Patrick's Day, my mother bought me this Shamrock plant. The three lobed leaves grow on stalks coming out of a main "root" under the soil. This one has flowered almost since the day I got it! Occiasonally a stalk will fade and die, but new ones are always shooting up from below. One of the neat things about shamrocks is that they have very sensitive leaves! This one folds up at night and appears to go to sleep (early evening the leaves start to droop like it's tired.. poor baby!). Prefers bright but indirect sunlight and very regular waterings.


Who doesn't know Aloe? Mine is the strangest looking plant (I received it as-is... it was a "donation" to my home when I moved...). Without a woody stem, aloe can't grow too tall without falling over, giving this one a limp appearance (it desperately needs repotting). New shoots are also sprouting out the bottom... Being a succulent (a fat plant that retains water) it can go long periods between waterings, and can handle being ignored!
The leaves can be cut off and opened to reveal a soothing gel, great for burns and cuts. Anyone want some aloe?

This pretty hardy, tolerant and attractive plant is a Croton of some sort. I really have no idea what kind (I got it for free....). They prefer bright locations, but it doesn't have to be direct sun. The leaves can be yellow and green or red and green, giving it a very different look. (And when it flowers it gets the cutest little poofy-looking blooms on the end of a long stalk!)

No comments: