Monday, February 6, 2012

Cinnamon Buns.

In case you haven't noticed, I love to bake.

The problem I have with baking, however, is that I don't always want to eat what I make. Sure, I might want ONE cupcake, but you can't just make one cupcake. You have to make 30 cupcakes.

The other night I was over come with the urge to do some baking. And more specifically, I had the greatest urge to make cinnamon buns. So I hopped on over to my best bud Lindsey's blog to find her recipe for sticky buns.

In hindsight, caving to this particular urge wasn't the best idea. At 6 pm when it struck me, I didn't have any yeast or eggs. And as much as I enjoyed making the buns, waiting for things to come out of the oven around 11:30 at night isn't the brightest idea. (Note to self: next time, start earlier.)

However, when they were finally ready, they smelled heavenly. And they tasted pretty darn good too. Not a bad first attempt.

There are a few changes I made when I went along, and a few I would make in the future. I only had soy milk, but that didn't seem to make a significant difference to the dough. And since I don't have a stand mixer, I mixed and kneaded all by myself, so I was very proud when the dough turned out looking great. I'm not really one for pecans, so I passed those by in favor of making half my batch with raisins, and half plain.

Unfortunately, my oven seems to be a bit hotter than Lindz's, because 40 minutes at 350 was too much - the outsides of the buns are a bit dry, and the filling kinda caramelized onto the bottom of the pan. But when you drizzle it with cream cheese icing (oh yes) who's going to notice?

2 comments:

Dominique said...

om nom nom

Lindsey said...

Now you're making ME want to make some! Yours are beautiful! Om nom nom indeed!