Friday, February 3, 2012

Aloo Gobi.

I love Indian food. There is a fantastic, family-owned place near me, with the best butter chicken and samosas. It makes me so happy.

Last weekend I wanted to try my hand at aloo gobi (a potato and cauliflower dish). I've attempted it before, but the recipe I had wasn't great, and my potatoes ended up uncooked and not very flavorful.
Cumin seeds and onion.
A friend pointed me in the direction of this recipe... courtesy of the director of Bend It Like Beckham, but blogged about by Steve Chatterton. I followed it for the most part, but adapted a bit here and there.

I used the amount of potatoes it called for, but that was waaaaaaay too much for my pan, and that meant I had to add more water, and stir a lot so things would cook. The stirring meant that I pulverized my cauliflower into tiny pieces.
After adding tomatos... Looks
questionable... smells like heaven.
I also wasn't sure about what chilies to use - I ended up getting 2 green serrano peppers, but probably could have used 4. Better safe than sorry when you try a recipe for the first time! I also had to use cilantro paste instead of fresh, but that didn't seem to make much difference. Instead of simmering for 20 minutes, I cooked it for about 40, otherwise my potatoes would not have been anywhere near done.
Poor mangled cauliflower...
The end result was just what I had hoped for! It was flavorful, but not saucy, and the tomatoes added some nice variety that was missing in the last dish I tried. I particularly enjoyed it steaming hot with a dollop of sour cream on top.

The only issue... it made a LOT. Definetly half the recipe unless you have lots of people to share with!

End result. Mmmmm.


No comments: