Saturday, February 9, 2013

Unbearable Lightness.

I just finished reading the book Unbearable Lightness by Portia de Rossi. It is her memoir of anorexia and bulimia, and it is a phenomenal book. At once both inspiring and horrifying, it really opens your eyes to the terrible images women hold as ideals thanks to the media. Somehow our value as people is still tied to our looks, accomplishments aside.

Reading this book made me excessively grateful that I am okay with my body. I may not like everything about it, but I am sufficiently okay with it to not feel the need to emulate the look of a sick person who has not had her period in over a year because her body has no extra material to use, and is slowly dying.

Everyone should read this book. It took great courage for Portia de Rossi to share her feelings of self loathing with the world especially since they are bound up with her old fear of exposing her sexuality.

Seriously. Read this book.

No comments: