Monday, August 13, 2012

Sewing.

Oh, pinterest. You make me feel more crafty tendencies than I ever did when I was an artsy child.

The DIY portion of pinterest is a mine field. Certain things look reasonable for the average person to do, others... not so much. Particularly the clothing do-it-yourself pins. Sheesh, how much time do some of you people have?

I have never been a particularly avid sewer. (And never before have I realized that sewer is a homonym of sewer. Eeew) But when this pin proclaimed to be the "easiest skirt in the world" and actually looked a bit cute from the picture, I thought I would check it out.

And folks, it really is that easy.

I spent a bit more time on the seams than this blogger did (I doubled all of them) and had to spend a bit more money on materials than she did (maybe thick elastic is more expensive in Canada? Probably.) and really should have gone with the old "measure twice, cut once" adage, but I am quite impressed with how well my little skirt turned out.

Not a bad first try!
*Disclaimer. It would have been a fast and easy project, if I had not spent a great deal of time fighting with a sewing machine that is older than I am. The good ol' Kenmore my mother received as a wedding present decided to have tension problems half way through the "easiest skirt in the world", which meant I spent a large chunk of time detangling, rewinding the bobbin, re-threading, seam ripping and restarting, and all that good stuff. It took me about an hour, but you could definitely do it in less.


No comments: