Thursday, December 22, 2011

Apple Cider.

One more day until Christmas break! Teaching until the 23rd is just mean... the kids all checked out days ago, and in high school it means we are crunched for time when we get back to finish before the semester ends.

When things get this busy and hectic, it's nice to sit back and relax with a hot cup of tea. At this time of year though, I find myself craving apple cider. I loke to make my own, as I can make it to whatever taste I happen to be feeling at the time.

I don't really follow a recipe, but this is as close as it gets..


In a skillet, heat 1 L apple juice and 2 Tbsp maple syrup over medium high heat. I often add 2 C water to make it a bit less sweet (I find apple juice incredibly sweet as is).

If you are fancy, you can use cheesecloth. Since I never have cheesecloth, I contain my spices in loose leaf tea bags. Put about 2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp allspice, 5 whole cloves, 5 black peppercorns and orange zest in a bag so it's easier to fish out later. If you are like me and also don't own a zester (for shame!) slices of orange rind work equally well.

Bring to a gentle boil, and turn heat to low for 10 minutes, stirring occaisonally. Remove spice bags and serve piping hot!



No comments: