Sunday, November 20, 2011

Oatmeal Crispy Cookies.

Well, winter has kicked in totally over here (it was -27 yesterday.... brrrrrr!) which means I want to bake. Constantly.

Since I don't really have time to constantly be baking, I have to settle for making a few old favorites to tide me over.

My paternal grandmother was an avid baker - she is the one who taught me how to make pies, provided me with the recipes for gingerbread, molasses cookies, tarts, cakes... you name it and she made it.

My maternal grandmother on the other hand... well, she had a few trusted recipes that she made time and time again. Some of my most vivid memories of her involve eating cookies in her kitchen, at the avocado green formica table. She only ever seemed to make one kind of cookie, and the house always smelled of Oatmeal Crispies.

After she passed away, I kinda forgot about the cookies... I'd never made them, and we didn't have the recipe. A few years ago, however, my mother got the recipe from my aunt, and I've been making them ever since... they are so simple and tasty, how could you not??

Oatmeal Crispy Cookies

In a large bowl, cream together:
1 C butter
1C brown sugar
1 C white sugar

Add:
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla

In a separate bowl, combine:
1 1/2 C flour
1 tsp baking soda
2 C oatmeal
1 C coconut
2 C rice krispies

Stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients. You'll need to get in there with your hands to really blend it! Roll dough into 1" balls, and flatten with a fork onto a cookie sheet covered in parchment. (They really spread out.. give them lots of space! And flatten them good... they puff up otherwise!) Bake for 6-8 minutes at 350. Cool slightly on cookie sheet, and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely before enjoying!


Be warned... this recipe makes a lot of cookies! Just how many is unclear. My grandmother was such a fiesty lady... when my aunt was getting the recipe from her, she asked my granny  (who was about 85 at the time) "how many cookies does it make?" Grandma's response?
...
"Damned if I know."

I know exactly who I want to be when I grow up.



No comments: