Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Diagrams.

So I gave a quiz the other day to my Physics 20 class. Now, typically physics problems are pretty boring ("an object is accelerated at...." or "an object is resting on a...") so I try to spice them up in class.

I stink at drawing (although I've got pretty awesome at stick people) and my kids know it. Whenever we do examples in class that deal with an object, I always ask them, "What kind of object do I have?" and they'll give me "dinosaur", "penguin", or "lumberjack" and then laugh while I try to draw one.

On quizzes, I normally give them an entertaining object to draw, mostly because I like looking at them when I mark them. Some of my students are excellent at drawing, while others are happy enough making all of their objects boxes.

However, the other day I was tired of telling them what to do, so I gave them a fill-in-the-blank quiz. Instead of telling them that a box of armadillos was sitting on a 40° incline, I told them "a ___________ is resting on a 40° incline" and had them decide what the objects were.

I have never giggled so much while marking quizzes. This is definitely becoming a regular occurrence. Teenagers are so funny and creative. I thought I would share some of my favorite doodles.... More to come later!

A wagon full of giraffe...

A 16 kg Santa on a slope

My personal favorite...
a wagon full of 32 kg of "assorted fruits".

 
 
Huzzah! I have figured out how to rotate pictures! Go me! Thanks to Kate for the words of wisdom!

1 comment:

Kate Moore Hermes said...

Sandi - Have you tried in preview? Mac or PC? I can probably help you with that when we're back at Christmas. Or email me and I'll help you!