Sunday, October 23, 2011

Chateau Lake Louise.

As I mentioned, this past weekend I was fortunate enough to attend a conference for Alberta Science teachers and it just so happened to be at the Fairmont's stunning Chateau Lake Louise.

Since I will probably never again be able to afford to stay there (thank you PD grant money!) I jumped at the opportunity. This hotel is stunning!

!!!!
This was the view from my room... Nothing like looking out over the emerald waters of Lake Louise at the Victoria glacier in the background. Lake Louise was named after Princess Louise Caroline Alberta (one of Queen Victoria's daughters) who was also the namesake of our province.

Beautifully clear lake, but sadly... clouds rolling in to block the glacier.
The Chateau was built at the end of the 19th century to try to lure wealthy railway travellers out west. While parts of the hotel burned down, were rebuilt and remodelled, it still retains a very old-fashioned look. This makes it very popular with wedding parties (an outdoor wedding occured while I was watching Jane Goodall speak. Who gets married outdoors in the mountains at the end of October?! Oh right. Last year I went to one on a mountaintop in February.)

Fuzzy picture of the lobby.
  I loved all the details of the hotel. The main lobby is full of tapestries, the ceilings in the old wing are all painted, and all the guest room doors are painted with a bouquet of flowers.


Ceiling in the Painter Wing.
I was supposed to room with two other friends, but one had to back out at the last minute. The plus side to this was our room was gorgeous! The bathroom was actually huge. We could have partied in there. Two full sized showers? Now that's luxury. And the beds? Don't even get me started. I've never loved a pillow so much in my life.

The flowers on our door.

If you ever get the opportunity to stay at the Fairmont's Chateau Lake Louise, I highly suggest you take it. It is an expensive hotel, but you definetly do get what you pay for!

Large ammonite fossils on display.

Small ammonite fossil I bought myself for a necklace.



No comments: