Saturday, March 29, 2014

Denver.

Having a lovely time in Denver so far. True, our luggage arrived about 10 hours after we did (impressive given the flight is only 2.5 hours) but the weather is gorgeous, the water does lovely things to my hair, and my family here is awesome. 

I wanted to make a pie to say thanks (because none of them are big cooks) but I didn't count on how hard it would be to actually find the lard to make the crust. Two grocery stores didn't carry it, although one disgruntled Safeway employee tried to convince me that butter flavored Crisco is the same thing. 

So I made a pie with the softest (non-butter flavored) vegetable shortening ever, but it actually turned out better than I thought it would. 
Going to a hockey game today, playing tourist tomorrow and Monday, and planning on enjoying some of the beautiful outside weather before going back to my little icy corner of Canada. 

No comments: