Thursday, October 24, 2013

Relief.

He's going to be okay. Phew. Battered, bruised and sore, but he's going to be okay. Such a relief to hear. 

Being a teacher is such a strange thing. I don't have children myself, but at any given moment I have 100+ kids that I care about, hassle to be a better person, watch over, keep track of... And this is not including former students that I keep track of, hassle to be better ("it's not you he doesn't like... It's your work ethic" is a really common conversation). I find my self busy with supporting them in their extracurricular endeavors as well as in school... I go to plays and music shows and sporting events. I volunteer at awards nights and tournaments and after school clubs. 

Sometimes the stress and demands and pressures get to be so great (helloooo report cards and IPPs and parent meetings) on top of the raging sea of hormones, (and the rest of your friends not entirely understanding what it is you do and why you can't do something on a Tuesday night), you often wonder if its worth it. And then you get the hugs from returning students at awards, the excitement at a job well done in an unrelated subject, the need of a supportive adult to bounce ideas off... And yes. It is all worth it. 

1 comment:

Dominique said...

Well said, couldn't agree more. It is worth it!!