Thursday, March 15, 2012

Pi Day.

Yesterday was Pi Day.

For those of you who are not math geeks like myself, pi (π) is a Greek letter that is used as a symbol for the ratio of the perimeter of a circle to it's radius. π is an irrational number, which means it cannot be expressed as a fraction, and it's decimals go on forever without repeating. Since this is not very handy, π (3.14159265358979323846264338327...) is often rounded to 3.14 which is a good enough approximation for most intents and purposes.

Pi crops up everywhere in science and math. As such, it makes mathematicians and scientists fairly excited. And we celebrate it on March 14 (3/14... get it?).

Math and Science departments at schools are no different. Yesterday we had some Pi Day festivities in the gymnasium with prizes on hand. There was a challenge to see who could memorize the most digits of π (winner was the winner last year.. this year's was a school record of 517 digits with no mistake), a pie-eating contest, and a raffle to pie a teacher in the face.

And yes, I got pie-ed in the face. 

Along with 7 other teachers, I volunteered to take a cream pie in the face. My skin felt remarkably smooth for the rest of the day. But the sprinkles got caked in my hair. 

The things I do to get teenagers interested in math and science!

An Apple Pi(e) I made a few years ago.

2 comments:

Lindsey said...

I checked your blog yesterday and was worried that there was no Pi day post! Glad you got to it today :)

and 517 digits is extremely impressive!

Sandi said...

Ha ha I'm not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing I'm so predictable...?

I've got a backlog of posts to do... so busy!

And yes, 517 is very impressive!