Friday, January 13, 2012

Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

So, I use my frying pan for just about everything. It's a perfect size to make a stir fry, a stroganoff, aloo gobi, cook a bunch of chicken... you name it, I have probably made it in my frying pan.

However, I do not actually have a lid for the frying pan. Which makes it pretty hard to simmer stuff. But necessity is the mother of invention, and I have found a new use for my splatter guard... It fits perfectly over my frying pan, and is the exact same size as my Ikea dinner plates (coincidence?)...

Voila! Instant lid!
I wanted to make a stir fry for dinner and have actually had the fixings in my fridge for about a week. Last time I was at the store, I picked up some water chesnuts and corn to put in there as well. All good right? Until I open up the can of baby corn to find....


Not corn.

Papaya??

Not sure what happened there. But I did NOT want to put papaya in my stir fry. Thankfully the water chestnuts were indeed water chestnuts. (I am not sure when I developed this crazy infatuation with water chestnuts... but they are so great in vegetable dishes!) My dinner was lovely, if corn-deprived (I compensated by adding more carrots).


No comments: