Thursday, July 28, 2011

"Treats from the Orient!".


I am rather sad. Tomorrow Danielle finishes her stay in Edmonton. Accordingly, we have been getting in as much hang out time as possible (the benefit of being teachers in summer... free afternoons all the time!)


Today I got a hair cut on Whyte Ave (which will explain the distinct lack of curl in my hair), then stopped by her place to visit, help pack, and go on one last random Whyte adventure before she leaves.
Happily, the weather was nice....


...unlike the last time we went window shopping.... (when it looked more like this. For the record, that is my mother's umbrella. D is FAR too cool to own anything like that.)

I ended up buying some earrings to wear to a wedding on Saturday (more on the weddings another time!)

We also had a great adventure in Chapters. Danielle found a random gift card while cleaning her room, so we decided to buy something that matched the monetary value left on the card. (It ended up being $1.77)

In this book, Seed Catalogue: A Poem, the author writes things like "No. 1248. Hubbard Squash" and random stories that seem to somehow be about life on a farm. But we were a bit confused at the sections that started "My father was mad at the badger..."


(Even if we could have afforded it... we weren't about to buy it. As an English teacher, she did not approve)
I will clearly need to read this one to be convinced as to How the Hippies Saved Physics. If it's because everyone was on drugs when they named the quarks... well that's nothing new. And don't get me started on string theory. Mathmatically it's okay, but in layman's terms? "And everything is made of tiny vibrating strings!" Someone was definetly on something when they coined that explanation.

One of the more "interesting" books we found was a wannabe Angus, Thongs and Full-Frontal Snogging. Called Withering Tights, the jacket actually contains the following words:

"What she doesn't expect is feeling like a tiny bat's barging around in her mouth when she has her first snog."

GOOD GRAVY, WHAT IS LITERATURE COMING TO?

I also discovered my hidden talent at the Harry Potter display...


I am KILLER at Magic Eye. Oh yes. I can look at them, and in about two seconds, without moving the book towards or away from my face, say "obviously it's Hedwig" or whatever the picture is of. How's THAT for a wicked cool party trick?



So what did we buy with the gift card you ask?
  
A knock-off My Little Pony called Filly Princess, of course. That may or may not be named "Duchess Romantica".

The other patrons of Block 1912 must have been sooo jealous of how awesome we are.



We ended our visit with gelato (not the 2 lbs. she tried to feed me last time... a more respectable scoop) on the walk back to her house. I will miss her heaps when she is gone... but we've had some awesome times hanging out the past few weeks!!

(I need to say things like that as she plans on showing this blog to her students as a way to get them into blogging as a form of journaling... HI DANIELLE!!)

2 comments:

Kate Moore Hermes said...

Ha ha! I've totally read that Full Frontal Snogging book. It was pretty funny, but only if you're an awkward teenager, which I was when I read it.

Sandi said...

Haha Kate it was a fairly decent book... I don't think the same can we said for Withering Tights ;)